Pages

Monday 23 January 2012

Medical research


My last post I was talking about cloning endangered species and cloning extinct species. I expressed my opinions about if we should /not use cloning. Here I am going to talk about using cloning for medical research. I actually do not know if cloned animals are living creatures or just living copy machines? If you think about it if you experiment on cloned animals it is not doing as much harm as if you used an actual animal.Or is it? To make a clone you need DNA. To get DNA you kill an animal. One animal for multiple clones. I do not know if that is equal or not.

Although they are only clones what if all the clones go wrong? They may not work.It is a waste of money time and the animal that got ,killed.Sure it saves animals all around the world but then they need more and more...DNA. Everything that they do can be for nothing. So is it worth it.

If I had to pick whether if it is worth it I would have to say that it is better doing medical research on cloned animals than actual animals.



Here is some pics although they might not be true: http://www.tetraplegicliving.com/cloned-animals

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting point you raise regarding if a cloned animal is is living or is just a copy of something that is living. If we assume that it is just a copy of something that is living, then from there could we not extrapolate to say that all of us are just living copies of our parents?

    What about identical (Monozygotic) twins who are nearly genetically identical? Is only one of them alive? Is the other then therefore a copy of the one who is alive? How do you decide which is alive and which is the copy?

    I feel the important question that your post raises is: do you have to be born (i.e. in a natural way for your species) to be alive?

    You might be interested in this article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC_(cat)) about the first cloned pet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting.It is all very true but when I am saying living or copy I mean that a living animal is naturally born copies are "artificial". What you said about twins is true, but they are still born naturally. What if they are fraternal twins.Does that mean that they are cloning failures?

    Last thing thank you for the article.

    ReplyDelete